• TA的每日心情
    慵懒
    2017-12-16 11:58
  • 签到天数: 1328 天

[LV.10]译术家III

发表于 2014-4-17 00:39 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
    文/珍妮特·温特森   译析/吴青*
    By Jeanette Winterson
    It’s human to want light and warmth. Our pagan ancestors had a calendar of fire festivals, and God’s first recorded words, according to the Hebrew Bible, were: “Let there be light.” Night belongs to the dark side, literally and metaphorically: ghosts, scary monsters, robbers, the unknown. Electricity’s triumph over the night keeps us safer as well as busier.
    人天生向往光明与温暖——尚无宗教信仰的人类先祖便在历法中记载过各种火节,而据希伯来文《圣经》记录,神的第一句话也是“要有光”。夜,属于黑暗的世界,字面如此,引申开来依然如此,比如鬼魅、狰狞怪兽、强盗、未知世界。电的辉煌成就令我们在夜晚更有安全感,也更加忙碌。
    [2]But whatever extends the day loses us the dark.
    〔2〕不过,任何对白昼的延伸都会让我们失去黑暗。
    [3] We now live in a fast-moving, fully lit world where night still happens, but is optional to experience. Our 24/7 culture has phased out the night. In fact we treat the night like failed daylight. Yet slowness and silence—the different rhythm of the night—are a necessary correction to the day.
    〔3〕我们生活在一个快节奏的世界里,充满光明;夜,依旧会降临,却成了选择性的体验。全年无休的文化已彻底将夜淘汰,我们实则把夜凑合着当成白天来过。然而,夜晚的节奏在于慢而无声,绝对是对白昼必要的修正。
    [4] I think we should stop being night-resisters, and learn to celebrate the changes of the seasons, and realign ourselves to autumn and winter, not just turn up the heating, leave the lights on and moan a lot.
    〔4〕我觉得我们不该再抗拒黑夜,而应学着去欣赏季节的变迁,重新适应秋冬时节;不该随手打开暖气,开着灯,然后没完没了地抱怨。
    [5] Night and dark are good for us. As the nights lengthen, it’s time to reopen the dreaming space. Have you ever spent an evening without electric light?
    〔5〕夜与黑暗对我们有莫大的好处。夜色渐深之际,正是重启梦境之时。你可曾在没有电灯的情况下度过一个夜晚?
    [6] It doesn’t matter whether you are in the city or the country, as long as you can control your own little pod. Make it a weekend, get in plenty of candles, and lay the fire if you have one. Prepare dinner ahead, and plan a walk so that you will be heading for home in that lovely liminal time where light and dark are hinged against each other.
    〔6〕身处城市或是乡村并无所谓,只要你在自己的小窝里说了算。挑一个周末,备足蜡烛,有壁炉的话生上炉火。早点儿做好晚餐,趁太阳下山前散完步,这样你往家走的时候光线开始明暗相交,正可体验跨界的美妙。
    [7] City or country, that sundown hour is strange and exhilarating, as ordinary spatial relations are altered: trees rear up in their own shadows, buildings bulk out, pavements stretch forward, the red wrapper of brake lights turns a road into a lava flow.
    〔7〕无论城市或是乡村,那日落的时刻都莫名地令人兴奋,只因它改变了平素的空间关系:树木高耸,暗影林立,建筑物此时也黑乎乎庞庞然的,人行道在脚下一路向前延伸,刹车灯的红色外罩照得马路如同熔岩流淌。
    [8] Inside, the lights are going on. Outside, it’s getting dark. You, as a dark shape in a darkening world, want to hold that intimacy, just for one night. Go home. Leave the lights off.
    〔8〕室内,灯光亮起。室外,夜幕降临。你,一个渐暗世界里的黑影,想要守住那份温馨,哪怕只有一晚。那就回家吧,别开灯。
    [9] We have all experienced negative darkness—those long stretches of the night when we can’t sleep, and worry about everything, and so we know that “dark time” can seem interminably long, compared with daytime. Yet this slowing of time can be the most relaxing and beautiful experience. Spending the evening in candlelight, and maybe by the fire—with no TV—talking, telling stories, letting the lit-up world go by without us, expands the hours, and alters the thoughts and conversations we have.
    〔9〕我们都经历过令人不快的黑暗:那些不眠之夜,漆黑一片中难合双眼,千忧万虑,让我们领受什么叫长夜漫漫,觉得黑夜比白天长得多。不过恰因时间放慢了脚步,我们才能体验到前所未有的自在与愉悦。在烛光中或是在炉火旁打发夜晚,不看电视,就是聊天、闲话,一任那个光明的世界在我们身边划过,时间在放大,想法和对话也都会变样。
    [10] I have noticed that when all the lights are on, people tend to talk about what they are doing—their outer lives. Sitting round in candlelight or firelight, people start to talk about how they are feeling— their inner lives. They speak subjectively, they argue less, there are longer pauses.
    〔10〕我注意过,灯火通明时,人们谈的都是所做所为——自己的物质生活。围坐在烛光边、炉火旁,人们开始谈所感所觉——自己的精神生命。说的多是个人体验,没什么可争执不下的,倒是静默的时间更长了。
    [11] To sit alone without any electric light is curiously creative. I have my best ideas at dawn or at nightfall, but not if I switch on the lights—then I start thinking about projects, deadlines, demands, and the shadows and shapes of the house become objects, not suggestions, things that need to [be] done, not a background to thought.
    〔11〕没有灯光,一人独坐,那感觉既新鲜又奇特。我的奇思妙想都萌发于黎明或黄昏,但前提是不开灯——我开始考虑各种项目、约定时限、种种要求,就连房子的阴影和形状都成了思考的对象,不过就不会想到什么解决办法或要做的事儿,全无半点功利心思。

• TA的每日心情
    慵懒

[LV.10]译术家III

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-17 00:40 | 显示全部楼层
    [12] The famous “sleep on it” when we have a dilemma we can’t solve is an indication of how important dream time is to human wellbeing. The night allows this dream time, and the heavier, thicker dark of winter gives us a chance to dream a little while we are awake—a kind of reverie or meditation, the constellation of slowness, silence and darkness that sits under the winter stars.
    〔12〕那句人尽皆知的“明儿再说”,就是我们陷入困境时惯用的招数,足见做梦的时间对于人类的幸福有多么重要。夜晚提供了做梦的时间,当然冬天那种更加浓重的昏暗让我们醒着的时候也有机会做点儿梦——近乎一种白日梦或冥想,恍如冬夜里缓慢、无声、黑暗集结的星空。

[13]I live in a wood in deep country, so inevitably light and dark keep their natural, non-city qualities for me, and I find myself responding to the changes in the light, and adjusting my ways from outdoors to indoors. I read more in the winter, write more, think more, sleep more. I don’t plan any of this—rather I don’t resist the seductions of darkness.
    〔13〕我住在比较偏远的乡下,又是在林子里,明与暗处于最自然的状态,和城里不一样,因而我发现自己对光线的变化异常敏感,不知不觉中就能从户外型调成室内型。一到冬天,我读得多,写得多,想得多,睡得也多。并非我刻意如此,只不过我从不抗拒黑暗的诱惑。

[14]And what could be better, on a winter afternoon, than getting into bed with someone you love? Then the darkness is complicit. Bed is where you should be. If it rains outside, that only adds to the pleasure. And don’t put the lights on. The Shakespearean bed trick, where it is so dark that somebody ends up making love to the wrong somebody (or as it happens, ultimately the right somebody), could never happen in our bright bedrooms, but the soft velvet of darkness turns even a familiar lover into an unknown encounter.
    〔14〕而且,有什么能比在一个冬天的午后与爱侣相拥而卧更美妙的吗?当然,还得一片漆黑才行。你们就该待在床上。要是屋外风雨交加,那感觉更是妙不可言。千万别开灯。灯火通明的卧室里,那种床第之间偷梁换柱的莎士比亚式剧情设计就永远不可能发生了,屋里够黑某某才可能与某某误行云雨——当然也许歪打正着,最终误会变幸会。不过,即便是相熟的恋人,在丝绒般柔软的黑暗中,大可有一次偶遇式的激情体验。

[15]Making love in the afternoon is completely different in summer and winter. To begin as the afternoon light is fading, to wake up, warm and heavy, when it is completely dark, to kiss and stroke the shared invisible body, to leave the person you love half asleep while you go and open wine … then the moment of standing barefoot in the kitchen, just a candle and two glasses to take back to bed, and a feeling of content like no other.
    〔15〕同是午后做爱,冬夏则截然不同。午后光线渐暗时开始,天色全黑时醒来,暖意融融,倦意沉沉,什么也看不见,亲吻抚摸相拥的身体,趁爱人还在半梦半醒之间,摸下床去开瓶红酒……接下来就是光脚站在厨房里,只取一支蜡烛、两只杯子回到床上,那一丝惬意,别具情趣。

[16] It may be an illusion, it may be the bonding hormone called oxytocin, but it is a gift of darkness too, and the slow extended time of love and night.
    〔16〕或许是幻觉,抑或是那种叫催产素的荷尔蒙,令恋人水乳交融,但绝对也是黑暗的恩赐,时间放慢脚步,缓缓延展,我们方得以尽享缠绵与长夜。

[17]I like the slowness of night.
    〔17〕我喜欢夜晚的慢。

[18]When friends from London arrive, high on electric light, like hamsters on a 24/7 wheel, I slow them down by feeding them food with darkness sealed in it: deep red venison stewed in claret, carp from the bottom of the river, root vegetables grown in rich black earth.
    〔18〕有时伦敦的朋友离了电灯不转,就像仓鼠在一个转笼里转个不停一样,到了我这儿,我就用储有深暗的食物招待他们,好让他们慢下来:红葡萄酒煨出的深红色鹿肉、深水鲤、肥沃的黑土地里种出的根类蔬菜。

[19]Just as our bodies use the sun to store up vitamin D for the winter, so the root vegetables common to autumn and winter have used their summer foliage to lock in the sun. There is a wonderful alchemical image of a black sun—dark, not radiating outwards but inwards—and that packed-in power is what you get in the autumn root vegetables. Little red turnips and ruby-black beetroot, small rough brown swede and deep orange rounds of carrot are dark suns.
    〔19〕就像我们的身体利用阳光为冬天储存维生素D一样,秋冬上市的根类蔬菜也利用叶子在夏天锁住日光。还有一个绝妙的魔幻形象“黑阳”——黑黑的,不向外发光而是向内发光——那种封存起来的能量,就是秋季根类蔬菜所蕴含的。小小的红萝卜和暗红宝石色的甜菜根,又小又皱、深褐色的大头菜,还有深橘色的胡萝卜圆片,都是一个个的黑阳。

[20] Eating seasonally is not a green fad; it is way of connecting the body to what is really happening out there. We are seasonal creatures—the over-ride button is scarcely 100 years old. Give the body back its seasons and the mind is saner.
    〔20〕吃时令果蔬并非什么追逐环保的风尚,而是一条途径,连通身体与外界现实。我们本是应季随时的生物——变得反季节不过是这一百年间的事。还身体以其原本的周期,心神会更加精爽。
    回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

• TA的每日心情
    慵懒

[LV.10]译术家III

楼主| 发表于 2014-4-17 00:41 | 显示全部楼层
    [21]I believe in pleasure—but not the same pleasure all the time. Seasonal pleasure prevents boredom and cynicism.
    〔21〕追逐快乐,我深以为然——但不是千篇一律,什么时候都享受同一种乐趣。乐事应季而转,便少了许多无聊与怨愤。

[22]There is great pleasure to be had from coming home on a wild night when the weather is vile, and pouring a glass of good red wine, and cooking dark food, such as mushroom risotto or braised beef and turnips served with dark green cabbage and truffle mash. If you have only 15 minutes to cook, make it mushrooms on toast with chopped parsley, and a chicory and endive salad. But keep the good red wine … This kind of cooking and eating cheers you up in winter, because it is what the body needs.
    〔22〕天气不好的时候,雨雪之夜回到家中,那是无比的乐事。倒上一杯上等的红酒,做点儿深色食物,像蘑菇调味饭或者萝卜炖牛肉,再配上绿绿的洋白菜和松露薯蓉。你要是只有一刻钟做饭,那就来点儿吐司蘑菇配碎欧芹,再来个苦菊沙拉。但是上等红酒还得有……这样的饮食能让你在冬天里振作起来,满足身体的需要。

[23] If you want to be depressed, spend the long winter nights eating out-of-season food. This is not the time for caesar salads or anything with the words “slim” or “diet” or “low calorie” on the label. After a day in the office, a brisk walk home—even if takes an hour—followed by real winter food, will give you good spirits of the kind not to be found in the over-lit-overheated-bus-in-a-traffic-jam situation, followed by a ready meal.
    〔23〕你若追求郁闷,那就在长长的冬夜里吃反季节的食物吧。这可不是吃凯撒沙拉的时候,更别说那些标签上注着“减肥”、“节食”或“低热量”的食物了。在办公室上完一天班,步履轻快地走回家中——哪怕要走一小时——吃上一顿真正的冬季餐,超级提神。要是坐巴士,车里灯火通明、热烘烘的,车外拥堵不堪,就算能吃上现成饭菜,却绝对不会有那种心神俱爽的感觉。

[24] In the autumn, make the bedroom cooler, not warmer. In winter, keep it slightly chilly, so that there is pleasure in that tingle of cold before you leap into bed with a hot water bottle, a good book and a glass of whisky.
    〔24〕秋天的时候,卧室宜凉不宜暖;而冬天里,更是微有寒意才好。惟有如此,打着寒颤捧个热水壶、一本好书和一杯威士忌钻进被窝时才会倍感惬意。

[25] It is a mistake to fight the cold and the dark. We’re not freezing or starving in a cave, so we can enjoy what autumn and winter bring, instead of trying to live in a perpetual climate-controlled fluorescent world with the same day-in, day-out processed, packaged, flown-in food.
    〔25〕反对寒冷和黑暗是大错特错的。我们早已远离穴居时代的饥寒交迫,大可享受秋冬两季的自然态,而不是终日待在一个恒温又有照明的环境里,吃着统一加工、统一包装、航空快运而来的食物。

[26] I have a tiny woodburning stove on my girlfriend’s balcony in London. She thinks I’m crazy, but I like to sit in front of it with the lights of the city elsewhere, heating a pan of soup or roasting chestnuts, and yes, I could do that on her fancy Falcon cooker, but I wouldn’t be where I like to be in my mind—which is dark without being melancholy, brooding without being depressed.
    〔26〕我在伦敦女朋友家的阳台上有一个小小的火炉,烧柴的。她觉得我疯了,但我特别喜欢,伦敦灯火齐明时,坐在它边上,热锅汤或者烤点儿栗子。没错儿,我可以用她那豪华的鹰牌多功能炉灶,但我的思绪就无法随心所欲地神游了——忧而不伤,沉而不郁。

[27]Food, fire, walks, dreams, cold, sleep, love, slowness, time, quiet, books, seasons—all these things, which are not really things, but moments of life—take on a different quality at night-time, where the moon reflects the light of the sun, and we have time to reflect what life is to us, knowing that it passes, and that every bit of it, in its change and its difference, is the here and now of what we have.
    〔27〕食物、炉火、散步、梦、寒冷、睡眠、情爱、慢、时间、寂静、书籍、季节——所有这些事情,其实不是事情,而是生命的诸时诸刻,在夜晚都给人以异样的感受。月亮反射太阳光芒的时候,我们才有时间反思生命之于我们为何物——深知生命在流逝,其点点滴滴就是我们拥有的当下,变化着的,以及变化的结果。

[28] Life is too short to be all daylight. Night is not less; it’s more.
    〔28〕生命奇短,焉尽永昼?况夜无不及,犹胜几分!
    回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

关闭

译术精品推荐上一条 /9 下一条

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|译术网    

GMT+8, 2017-12-16 20:57 , Processed in 0.308824 second(s), 31 queries .